Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

Social learning theories are based on the idea that students learn by communicating. Dr. Orey states that social constructivism is based on collaborative learning in which students interact with other people while constructing something (Laureate Education, 2010). The idea of social learning theory is highly correlated with this week’s reading in Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, “Cooperative Learning.” Cooperative learning can be facilitated in many ways but this week’s reading focused on three resources: multimedia, web resources, and communication software. Technology and the internet has greatly enhanced our ability to communicate with others. Out of the three resourced discussed I like the idea of create multimedia and web resources. I like the example in the book where Ms. Ortiz has student work in groups to create videos about famous mathematicians. Activities such as this one are great when planned for and done correctly. When these types of activities go smoothly, it is often due to the lack of preparation (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007). Students must know what is expected of them. This is where a rubric comes into play. In terms of web based resources, there are so many resources available. The resource I like the best is under course management. I am most familiar with Moodle and Blackboard. To better help my students inside and outside the classroom, I would like to incorporate Moodle. This way if a student is absent or loses something, they can go onto our Moodle page and see what they missed or print off a new copy of whatever they missed. I have a few colleagues at the moment that use Moodle and I really like the idea.
Refrences
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). [Webcast]. Social Learning Theories: Author.

Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski. (2007). Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. Denver, Colorado: Mid-Continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL).

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Moodle. Is this a Blackboard type website? Upon reading he resources this week I too found cooperative learning to be something that yes I have done in the past, but now have some background in technology to use these tools to enhance their cooperative learning experience. I am hoping that the student’s level of comfort with technology lends itself to make the cooperative learning projects that I create a success. I have found in my classroom, since my school does not have the technology other schools have, that most students haven’t had the experience with many applications, however this will change as the school moves towards advancing in this area and teachers like us start incorporating technology into our instruction and classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Moddle is like blackboard. You can look it up but there are different accounts for it. I could create an account through my school or there is an account I can set up that works with surrounding schools. It is similar to blackboard. You could add all your assignments for the year on it. You can scan worksheets for students so if they loose them they can print them at home. It is something they can use to check up on when they are at home. Since your school does not have much technology, when it comes to voicethreads for example, this is something they can do at home and be social with there classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another site you could incorporate for students to get caught up, give great links, or give extra credit is by creating a facebook page for you classroom, football, or baseball teams. My wife is a coach/teacher and uses the website Facebook to it's fullest capacity. It is really easy to get a hold of most of your students that way also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that idea especially during the athletic seasons. That would be great if we had to change a time or to let students know about games.

    ReplyDelete